Controversial games

iemp

Reaction score
What is the most controversial game you have ever played? For me it's definitely Manhunt by Rockstar. Also the terrorist mission from Modern Warfare 2 should be featured on this list of controversy :)

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever played any controversial games. I do own MW2, but I haven't played it yet. I guess the most controversial games would be the GTA series, but I also haven't played any of those games. I haven't decided whether I will play GTA V yet.

iemp

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever played any controversial games. I do own MW2, but I haven't played it yet. I guess the most controversial games would be the GTA series, but I also haven't played any of those games. I haven't decided whether I will play GTA V yet.
Well GTA is controversial no doubts for that. However GTA V is not released yet, isn't it?

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember back in the day when Mortal Kombat was controversial? I used to play it back in that day. OMG animated pixelated blood, it definitely made me a worse person today. I don't know if Conker's bad fur day was controversial, but I think it should have been given the rampant violence and swearing.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
No, GTA V hasn't been released yet, but I think it will be in a month or so. I still haven't decided whether I will be joining the masses in trying to play it.

Saints Row would've been controversial, but by the time it came out, video games were already so far out there, that they were a blip on the map.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
Manhunt and Mortal Kombat are good mentions. Both were very controversial back in the day.

But I have those both beat. Not many will remember this game. But this game was so controversial that it never "officially" released. It's a PS1 game called "Thrill Kill". Google it a bit.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Never heard of that one, but I'm glad that the anime game in which the player goes around trying to rape a woman and her daughter never made it to the US.

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
I don´t think I have many current experiences with controversial games. It was during the early years of my adolescence, when it was still a little boy, I played games like that. For example, Carmaggedon was very controversial at the time, and I enjoyed it very much. Of course I was away from controversy, and not paying attention, but apparently, older people found that game a little unpleasant.

edensatombomb

Reaction score
What is the most controversial game you have ever played? For me it's definitely Manhunt by Rockstar. Also the terrorist mission from Modern Warfare 2 should be featured on this list of controversy :)
Man hunt was probably mine to. I love ghat game. Broken glass a plastic bag piano wire or shot gun all the kills were amazing

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
Never heard of that one, but I'm glad that the anime game in which the player goes around trying to rape a woman and her daughter never made it to the US.
Damn, that's even worse than thrill kill.

But here is the wiki on the Thrill Kill game in question:

Thrill Kill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually had a bootleg copy of the game back when I had a modded ps1. You can probably get a few youtubes on it. The game is sick, and I'll just leave it at that.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
The most controversial game I've actually played is Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. This is not because it's a bad or evil game, it just means I don't play a lot of controversial games.

Japan had a PSP game with cute anime Nazi girls in bikinis wearing swastika hats, so I'm glad that one never made it over here.

I was shocked by a spam ad for an MMORPG that's available online where the ad was an antique looking picture of a Spanish slave ship with African slaves in shackles. The ad said that one of the features of the game is that you can sell other players. Hell no, that's not entertainment. That's disgusting.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
No, GTA V hasn't been released yet, but I think it will be in a month or so. I still haven't decided whether I will be joining the masses in trying to play it.
There is no way that GTA V is coming out in "a month or so". The game is still in development and Rockstar apologized in an interview for the long development time and explained that GTA V is a huge map , 5 times larger than the GTA 4 map, and they're still working the bugs out and trying to create a quality product.

Some video game publications are estimating the release date as March 2013, so "a month or so" would take a miracle.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Oh, okay. I made a mistake. The way that some people were talking about it made me think that it was coming out soon. Makes me no nevermind. I still wouldn't have decided whether I'd be playing it by March 2013.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
Damn, that's even worse than thrill kill.

But here is the wiki on the Thrill Kill game in question:

Thrill Kill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually had a bootleg copy of the game back when I had a modded ps1. You can probably get a few youtubes on it. The game is sick, and I'll just leave it at that.
After reading that wiki article the plot of the game actually seems pretty cool, but the characters are so over the top. Which makes me think the storyline probably wouldn't be that good since they just made any storyline just to fit the game.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
After reading that wiki article the plot of the game actually seems pretty cool, but the characters are so over the top. Which makes me think the storyline probably wouldn't be that good since they just made any storyline just to fit the game.
The characters weren't really all that over the top. But they were very "true to form". Like a for example, the trampy killer maid looked TOO much like the real thing.

Like I said before, you might be able to get a few youtubes of it.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
The characters weren't really all that over the top. But they were very "true to form". Like a for example, the trampy killer maid looked TOO much like the real thing.

Lol I forgot how bad the graphics were for that generation. Anyways what I meant is I get that these are supposed to be the worst out of the worst to get into this competition, but even the first boss design is just completely over the top in concept.

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
Because the things I've read, I think we all have different ideas about what is controversial and what is not. I believe that something controversial is something that touches the most solid foundations of public opinion. When two groups that often have opposing views, agree in connection with opposition to a game or a certain behavior, I think there we have one of the keys to see if a theme is controversial. Of course there are always irritated thematic social consciousness: sex, extreme violence, vulgar language, discrimination. However, there are games that meet these ingredients and go unnoticed. I believe that many of the games that are backwards lines meet the conditions to become controversial.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Pretty much any game with something resembling a "sex scene" unfortunately. Weird, the things people get up in arms about...

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score

After reading the Wikipedia article of Thrill Kill, I agree it does sound kind of cool. I thought it was just going to be a murder game, but it's a fighting game, which is one of my favorite genres. A bondage themed fighting game with basically Cenobites. Interesting. But I'm surprised it got that far into development because even in 2012, that sounds a little racy.