Chrono Trigger Discussion.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I want to discuss with some people here who have played this game as much if not more then I have. I recently started playing it with Diatenshi and well it's been memory-reviving to say the least. Let's discuss about anything Chrono Trigger related; characters, magic, storyline, etc. :)

I'll start off, with the magic’s. There’s only a key few that hold great power, as in that do a lot of damage. There's three main ones, that are actual 20 MP spells (ice, fire, lightning, shadow elements) and those are: Flare, Luminare, and DarkMatter. Which one does the most damage? I compared, and on average DarkMatter seems to do the most, but this is because Magus always has the highest MAG level. Crono has a very low level, while Lucca has a fairly high level as well.

Magic damage depends on the users MAG level, and maybe their level overall. Assuming this, Magus would do the most with DarkMatter to a monster with no resistances to anything and no weaknesses to anything. I searched for such a monster but none seemed to get honest damage, as it was varied based on each element. I did, however, tested double star MAG'd Flare, Luminare, and DarkMatter on Lavos. Here’s what I got:

On his second to last Form, and his last form:

DarkMatter: 2200 (2250-2275 respectively)
Luminare: 2950 (2900-2975 respectively)
Flare: 2525 (2500-2575 respectively)

I was very surprised to see that Darkmatter did the least of them, and that Flare got in second! I knew that spell was good. :)

However, that was with max MAG. The only characters that can come close to getting that on normal means is Magus, excluding Magic Tabs and such. Therefore, in most peoples games, DarkMatter seems to do the most. Luminare can't pass it by normal means (unless you charm aliens for magic tabs 50 or so times to get enough magic tabs to get Crono to ** Magic) as for Flare, I got Luccas Mag to 75 or so (on a non hacked game, from charming a lot of magic tabs and saving the bunch of them for her) and Flare was doing 2200 or so to Lavos, which is pretty nice. Very interesting indeed.

Which spell do I like the most? Flare. I have become a major Lucca Fan, and I actually got to liking the spell. I first got it on Mt. Woe, where I proceeded to fry Giga Gaia with it. Usually that boss gives me trouble but he was easy this time. I love Flare a lot, especially with Gold Studs.

What’s the most underused character for you? Mine, recently, has been Frog. Now usually it was Ayla, I had a great disliking of her until I gave her a chance. My end party consisted of Aya, Lucca, and Robo. Blaze Kick was doing a solid 3500 or so to Lavos, so it was well worth it. She stole tons of good gear for me too, so I basically love her. Aside from being physically rock solid, she has the best Evade and Hit, maybe besides Magus (he has good hit too)

What do you guys think about the spell thing? I should include Shock, but I'll do it later. Anyone surprised? :p

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
I don't use Lucca all the time so I don't really use Flare. But I have seen Luminare and its power can be immense. I would say, that would depend on the magic attack of the person and if the enemy has resistance and magic type immunity from spells.

Also, Lucca and Magus were meant for spell casting, while Crono was well balanced, just more Speed.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Magus is tilted more on the magical level while Crono is tilted more on the phyiscal level. Both have great speed, and hit. Just Magus has more magic and Crono has more power. The thing is, I thought DarkMatter would do the most, Luminare doing second, and Flare being last. But I was wrong, and very surprised. On average, Luminare does less then Flare to most enemies, because Chrono has limited Mag while Lucca has a lot. Lucca isn't the best physical character, but she can pull off some insame damage with Wondershot. :D

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Frog and Marle? How stupid, hey're both water. >_> Atleast add someone else for better double and triple techs. Antipode 3 does more then anything that Frog, Marle ands Crono can dish out. ;)

As for FF3, I personally love both. But they're too easy. FF3 moreso then CT.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I usualy went with Crono + Marle + Ayla.

I really hated Lucca. I really hated her so i dispised ever having to use her at any point. I also think Toad is over rated and people like him for stupid reasons. Magnus was to gay to use also.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Magus is tilted more on the magical level while Crono is tilted more on the phyiscal level. Both have great speed, and hit. Just Magus has more magic and Crono has more power. The thing is, I thought DarkMatter would do the most, Luminare doing second, and Flare being last. But I was wrong, and very surprised. On average, Luminare does less then Flare to most enemies, because Chrono has limited Mag while Lucca has a lot. Lucca isn't the best physical character, but she can pull off some insame damage with Wondershot. :D
So can Crono with Rainbow Sword and the Rainbow Specs :).

My parties were usually Crono, Robo and somebody else.

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
chrono ( i gotta revive him... :( )
frog
and Magus

by the way.. when you said " farming aliens " what were the aliens you spoke of...??

where to find, i'd love to get more magic tabs for chrono and magus

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Alien, its a stupid monster. It casts a spell that instantly kills you, with a chance of it happening. But I think it has 2000 something life, so it isn't difficult to take down!

ChrisH36

Reaction score
It really depends on % chance and any immunities to a certian effect. But that game has all kinds of crazy effects, like HP to 1, locked abilities etc.

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, in the beginning of the game (generally first couple newgame+ runs) I go Crono+Marle+Lucca, for Cronos pure tanking and ability for life if marle falls first. Marles there for healing and reviving main, but used as a DD for antipode 3 (note, first few runs through newgame+) And also lucca for the Flare/antipode combo. Luminaire is absolutely awesome when the MATK gets up there, but doing my first levelling to 100 I used magus's dark matter to mash the mobs on the belt in 2300 AD (Robos quest), seeing as he has the highest MATK straight up early in the game. One hit cleared them, so it went fast. Flare is a sexy skill (I stole the name, i use it almost like a main alias now :/) so lucca is always a must.

Anyways, here's a question: I've always strived every time I get CT to see how early I can get Cronos luminaire on a fresh new game. I used to stand at about the middle of the undersea palace (where all those crazy ass yellow dudes that twister are), but I've honed it greatly, to magus's castle (The row to flea on the right side), then to the mobs just outside Masa and Munes cave, 3 goblins and 2 of those sword dewds. They go fast. My current record would probably be my last run, which is the 4 mobs at the VERY beginning of the masa and mune mountain, 2 goblins (without hammers, so it goes fast) and 2 birds (earlier on, the chaos drives you crazy). So, basically when I got ayla for the first time, she was 18 and I was above 30. It was killer easy to flow through the game, I didn't actually have to level for a long time, yet I still fought every mob. (Magus was easy with lightning barrier down and ****ing luminaire, cranked him in like 2 of them)

Anyways, I think I need to start working on stats, I'm just breaking on ** levels pretty soon. (Yeah, on the first run :p)

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Getting skills early was easy but stupid for me. When I first played, I went to the prehitoric age instead of the 600 A.D. age to go do the Zenan Bridge thing. I was fighting those Nu's and stuff for all that TP, and the monsters up that mountain ith the Terydactals on it (With Crono, Lucca, and Marle) and I was about level 48 with all the magic when I found out where the hell to go. :(

The game was so easy frolm that standpoint, but on fresh new games, I learn Flare+Luminare, close to the start of Mt. Woe. They make quick work of Giga Gaia. :p

TweaK, ever use Ayla for purposes oher then stealing? She can be really useful..shes quickly become one of my most cherished characters next to Lucca and Magus. :D

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ayla is always my party leader for the blackbird, and she is a WICKED DD when it comes to raw physical output.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Frog and Marle? How stupid, hey're both water. >_> Atleast add someone else for better double and triple techs. Antipode 3 does more then anything that Frog, Marle ands Crono can dish out. ;)

As for FF3, I personally love both. But they're too easy. FF3 moreso then CT.
Did you also take into consideration one of thier Daul Techs is one of the cheapest healing abilities!

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Hellwolf_36 said:
Did you also take into consideration one of thier Daul Techs is one of the cheapest healing abilities!
frog and ayla is better, or even frog and robo

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Why would I when Slurp Kiss heals just as much if a little less as well as heals status? For 1/1? ;)

I tried Frog and Marle last night, when I had to do the Rainbow Shell sidequest. Not worth it at all. I'd rather stick to Ayla and Frog's 4500 damage Drop Kick. ;)

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Or that Triple tech between Crono/Ayla/Frog, that works too :).