Character idea (not specific character)

Tact

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongamers.com
I think D3 would be amazing if character development were like so:

Everyone starts out level 1, with 10 on all attributes. You have the ability to, as you gain levels, go more toward either Magic, Melee, or Missile. Ultimately this would make every character different. Would also bring great combos of classes to the table. Also have items not be "class-specific". Instead, make it require certain stats. It wouldn't be this flat of a system, it would have perks, but this is just the general idea. No classes, just factors that make characters lean more towards [melee missile or magic]. In my opinion, that would make every character unique in the way that there wouldn't be the stero-typical character running around ALL over. "Cookie-cutter character" would be a phrase of the past.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
It sounds alright, but there's a few problems with it. Taking qaway class-specific items might make the game seem less unique item wise, I think. However, it would be made up for by characters going either of the three routes, or possibly a mixture of two routes so that they can be more versatile. It has it's ups and downs, but the basic concept; I like it. :)

Tact

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongamers.com
Items would not be any less unique, there would just be requirements for certain melee/missile/magic factors. That would make it so a warrior couldn't use a staff unless he had spent the time to have mage abilities.

Therefor if you were half melee half magic you could use the powerful mage items but you could also wear good armor. That would be so with every path you would choose.

Tact

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongamers.com
There wouldn't be an unlimited source of levels. If something requires, for example, 300 magic points, how could someone use it who even put one point into melee or missile use it if you only gain 300 throughout the whole game? If something requires less, it will be less powerful. The people who stick with a solid "class" will have a solid character, with powerful items.

Tact

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongamers.com
Darkmatter said:
Thats not my point, though. My point is there wont be any unique items for any one character. :(
These "classes" would have subclasses, like under magic it would have restoration/detruction/summoning/etc. All-in-all if you wanted to be a paladin, you would be 150 melee 150 magic under restoration and maybe some destruction that deal damage to undead. In order to make an item that requires someone to be a paladin to use it, you would just need to have it require 150 melee and at least 100 under restoration. The more powerful items for a paladin would be "solid", 150/150.

This would bring sooo many new "classes" to the table.

Steel101

Member!
Reaction score
This sounds like an alright idea, but like Darkmatter said the item system won't be as unique. Every RPG you go to, you don't see a weapon that says "Warrior-Only".That's something that gives Diablo 2 it's uniqueness (if that's even a word).

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Still. It signifies that any person can use anything if they build their characters a certain way. Anyone can be this or that. Anyone can use this item or that item within reason. There's no unique, specific item for anyone person because the system allows everyone to be everything within viable circumstances. (Building their characters a certain way.) :-/

alduran

Reaction score
that sounds very much like dungeon siege. it would be very hard to do that so it will still be diablo. i think.

Tact

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongamers.com
Darkmatter said:
Still. It signifies that any person can use anything if they build their characters a certain way. Anyone can be this or that. Anyone can use this item or that item within reason. There's no unique, specific item for anyone person because the system allows everyone to be everything within viable circumstances. (Building their characters a certain way.) :-/
I get the feeling you do not understand what I have been saying throughout this whole post. I am going to quit attempting to explain in simpler words. Every time I have explained something, you post a reply which clearly states that you do not get what I'm saying, as if you did, you wouldn't post such things.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I'm just trying to annoy you. Maybe I hit that special spot. :D

Basically, it will lack individuality in my opinion. But since Blizzard is generally smarter then most people. (Depending no your personal opinion of them.) I hope they don't do this idea. :)

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Hmmm...let me guess...you got this idea from Dungeon Siege...That game is awful.

Lol, go Dark! :cool:

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Tact said:
These "classes" would have subclasses, like under magic it would have restoration/detruction/summoning/etc. All-in-all if you wanted to be a paladin, you would be 150 melee 150 magic under restoration and maybe some destruction that deal damage to undead. In order to make an item that requires someone to be a paladin to use it, you would just need to have it require 150 melee and at least 100 under restoration. The more powerful items for a paladin would be "solid", 150/150.

This would bring sooo many new "classes" to the table.
]

Hello dude! THIS IS NOT MORROWIND! IT IS GOING TO BE DIABLO 3!
Also if they did all of this rubbish then the game would also involve crap like choosing race, skin colour etc etc. I have played Morrowind and that little line (restoration/detruction/summoning) is so obviously from Morrowind.

Okay, if you have a new idea, make it original. :frustrate :-/

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
...sounds like you just want to take away the names "barb/sorc/zon" and combine them together into 1 character and say "choose which type, barb sorc zon, you want to be, but dont call it that"

=/

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
well.. the idea is crap, making you basically build your character kinda ruins the reason you pick a certian char, you dont pick a barb so you can load up on mana and have little str

so what if there are " cookie cutter " builds, there are others that people rarely do, but you decide not to notice them ( only curse necro, doppleganger zon, only-aura pally )

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Reminds me of Diablo I. You had the base classes, but you could do anything with them, with the certain limits of stat allocation.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
You could make a ''Paladin'' in D1 by getting a more-magic oriented (Healing/White magic.) Warrior as well as the other things needed to keep him in top shape. Same with other combinations. There's just no label for it, you can make it into basically anything you want role-wise. (Within the skills provided.)

Talosxii

Reaction score
i think that they should stick with the different classes and with the class specific items. the reason i say this is because of one thing that i think should be taken into consideration. Depending on what class you are you are going to be proficient in certain types of weapons as well as abilities. Not just because that is the way diablo is set but because in all decent rpgs and to some extent to history itself, different classes of warriors chose different styles to fight and different weapons and armor to suit that style. for example in d-2 a barbarian was more efficient with axes and larger weapons than any other character...why? because of his build. His size and physical strength would have been unequalled in reality, and to take that away in the game would make everyone like d-3 that much less because it takes away from the challenge of building a formidable character that is also unique. the game is already unrealistic. very good but there are certain aspects that wouldn't happen and that draws us to that genre more. but to take away the realism and uniqness of the characters would make it easy to have a strong character, and we all want a challenge. I mean if we can't experiment to find out what character suits us best and see how strong we can make that character in their area of skill then what is the point in playing? To kill things? To listen to an unchanging story? To watch the same type of stuff over and over until we can't stand it? Lets face it, we all love diablo because it isn't like that and to make it like that would be suicide for blizzard and they know it. It isn't gonna happen.

Tacitus

The Oldest
Reaction score
Website
www.animeleague.net
Ok, I won't consider myself an expert by far, and having never played Dungeon Siege I can't offer my insight there, but I think what he was getting at, or at least how I interpret it, you put points into stuff and your class evolves.

Sort of like you start out as a 'Jack of All Trades' and when you allocate points your class changes. Have a heavy magic score? Mage. Have a high magic and melee? Paladin.

You could use this system and keep class specific items because you would have a class at the time, dependant on stats.

Of course I might have missed something, but its my interpretation with a serious lack of experience. That and the fact I don't want to get in the middle, just offer my interpretation.