Cannot Chat

WQ87

Reaction score
Website
www.bodybuilding.com
I cannot chat in game after the lastest update of steam.
All chat messages change into Cstrike_Chat_xxx
how can i fix this problem?

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
That's kind of odd...

Open your \cstrike directory, move your maps, models, and sound folders and your configs to another directory and then delete everything else from the cstrike folder. Move them all back and start up CS again. This should basically reinstall CS. Does this fix the problem at all?

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Well... I'd suggest relocating those same files mentioned above (which are files you'll probably like to keep) so that you can completely reinstall CS by deleting the cstrike folder and the cstrike.gcf file from your SteamApps folder. Once you do that, you'll have to start Steam and begin re-updating CS. Once that finishes, you'll want to try it out and see if the problem is gone. It'll probably take a while to re-download CS.

EDIT: first... does this happen in other mods, or only CS?

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I would say completely reinstall Steam altogether...then again I have noticed you being somewhat decent with software...so I would have figured that you would have already tried this.

Resetting configurations are normally the easiest way to solve such problems..

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
You would think that with finding that you weren't the only one with a problem that you would have found a fix..if you find one please post the solution because I don't think I'm the only one lost here.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
I could only find one other person in that Google search that had the same problem. I searched the Steam forums and couldn't find anything about it. I'd suggest that you go to the Steam Support forums to see if any of the gurus there can figure it out.