Best Map Maker?

inc

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Bolt Head
I don't think you have any idea when i first touched the editor or how much influance Tuxcedo or I might of had on the mapmaking community.

guess i should retire :)
So enlighten me. I'm guessing no earlier than 2001. Not meant as an insult, of course.

Also, Who's your favorite mapmaker Bolt?
And who comes to mind when you think of someone who has had the most influence on the StarCraft UMS community?

Bolt Head

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowfortress.net
Thats a pretty good guess late 2000 actually. Keep in mind that most people on b-net belive they have been there longer than they have. I attached a screen shot of my main maps folder sorted by date. This proves I have been making maps since late 2000. (of course i made war2 maps before that) lol want me to dig out the dates on those lol.

My favorate map maker . . . thats a tough one. I would have to say Ither Tuxedo Templar or EvilDrone(U). Tuxedo Templar is not only really good but he also is creative and what i admire about him the most is his increadable modivation to finish things. Evildrone is pretty much the same, maybe with a little more since of what makes a map play well.

Most influanced SC Community, well defently not me although i do belive i played a larger roll than most. I would have to say original creators of the basic genras. First Defence i belive was Lurker defence old 5 island maps where everyone had there own units and you ALWAYS won, I belive that was created by Mystic. Ghost[Yoon] with Turret D, Big-Fat-Homo with First Maxtrix, Heroic-SCV for first "obstical map", KckKryptonite for coining the word Bound and making the first one of those. Also i can't forget GoldenUrg Creator of GUedit and SC Chess.

I however don't have anything that large to say i influenced and alot of it is evolved ideas. For example I made the first known explotion Obstical in the map The Rock, Later used by my good friend at the time KckKryptonite in his first bound (first obstical map witch featured explotion obstical). I came up with the idea for dodge the larva (however sugniffigant you might consider that). And recently The whole mini map Image Fad I started. Also Most of what the clan (U) is today I played a large roll in createing. Although i didn't create (U) orriginally, Kamikaze and I created the clan that there is today.

I hate saying this stuff cause it makes me sound arrogant, maybe I am, sorry.

Bolt Head

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowfortress.net
sorry for double post forgot to attach image.

Edit: Sorry for crappy quality comes from quickly cropping it in MS paint rather than takeing a little time in Adobe.

Magikarp

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Spirit Reaper: Tuxedo Templar by far.

Ghost Yoon made stupid bounds or something that wasn't fun.
Ghost Yoon is a great map maker because he initiated the whole Turret Defense craze. You cant compare his maps with the stuff that people produce today, obviously.

I am also impressed with Tuxedo-Templar's amazing motivation. This definetly makes him qualify as a legendary map maker. Has a great sense of humor to (In his maps, anyway).

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A map does not have to be complex to be great. It is the general idea and how well it is executed. Greatest can have so many meanings... I would say the person who made Cats & Mice would be the best, not because it is complex or even balanced, but for the fact that it is so popular in bnet... even today... While the madness and defense maps have faded, Cats & Mice still keep going strong, these days I see the Cats & Mice in the jungle 3.0 or something version and the new Cats & Mice Crystal Wars. I believe the person who made the first Cats & Mice is aquayoshi`. If your looking at it in another perspective, I would say Goldenurg for not only making that insanely complicated Chess map, but also making GUedit, which was far advanced for its time. I believe the best mappers know what the masses are looking for and make their maps based on that. You could make a map that takes many hard months to finish, only to find nobody joins it during it's first run on bnet. So harsh, but it's true.

inc

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Bolt, I guessed 2001, since The Rock was the first map I saw from you. I also agree with you on those type of mapmakers being awesome. I'm also going to say some opinions might be biased towards Tux, since he is still around, others aren't. Although, if there was a thread about effort or trigger knowledge, then he'd probably be right at the top, no doubt.

Hmm, when is Tuxedo gonna reply to this thread¿

Tuxedo Templar

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My reply? Ok here it is. Happy? ;)

Ok I'll do better than that.:p I dunno about best map maker, but one of the people who taught me most of what I know is a guy named stereo, though I don't know if he's around any more. He probably doesn't even remember me, either.

As for real map makers, aside from bolt, demonic dragon, and a few other (U) members I know, everyone who is still around doing mapping today earns my respect.

P.S. I forget what maps evildrone(U) did offhand. Care to refresh my memory?

MacMan

Reaction score
Gatta go with my homiez, Bolt and Tux :). There are too many others that I think are great too, but you guys never cease to amaze me.

Soujiro

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by inc
I agree with idoL, but I'm also more of a fan of the old school mappers,
then you would like me ^_^ my maps never really got popular, but crookedfoot probably remembers me :p

Magikarp

Reaction score
The best map maker ever is Jake Joker, hands down. I loved his Hitler RpG =}.

Oh, didnt EvilDrone(U) also make SC Pong?

exobyte

Member!
Reaction score
Yes, he did make SC pong, but still.... UselessMapMaker owns him.

idoL

Member!
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Originally posted by Bolt Head
Here you go.
Thank you Bolt, I played this map along time ago and LOVED it but then I lost all my maps around 2001 and this is one of the maps I had to get back. Thanks again.

Bolt Head

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowfortress.net
Evildrone is best known for Mario Adventure Bound. He also made SC Pong yes, There are a select few who have talent that just screams out wow to me Evildrone and Tux are two that come to mind (not many others like 4 max).

Anyways another person who im going to mention (mainly cause of his recent discovery) is Thermo i belive his b-net name is something like {JRC}Thermo. Anyways he just posted today a new way to do kills for money. A FLAWLESS method that doesn't require you to use tons of trigger like SC Trigger does. Anyways here it is http://www.staredit.net/?showtopic=1732

P.S. Im going to write a tutorial on this and try to make it public as hell.

L

Laharl

Another great

I'd like to add somebody to the list. {GH}Goblinlord for the first open rpg, which was amazing.

L

Laharl

It sure was. I wasn't sure of the correct name, so I didn't post it.

I'm looking for those maps, btw, and I'd really appreciate it if you could post a link to any of them starting at the first version. I want to post on my site.