Barbarian is the only returning class.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
I imagine some if not all of the classes from D2 will return, just not as playable characters. The sorcorer and rogue from D1 were in D2 as mercenaries, so I foresee the return of some of the heros from D2.
I thought they returned as monsters? Rouge was the Blood Raven and Sorcerer became the Summoner. The warrior became diablo in D2.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
gunslinger? it'd be neat to have a gun based class as opposed to an archer

alchemist-type character like the ones from FMA would be pretty neat

but really its so wide open.

SweatyOgre

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I thought they returned as monsters? Rouge was the Blood Raven and Sorcerer became the Summoner. The warrior became diablo in D2.
Uh...sorry but no. You're right to a degree (Summoner = Sorceror???) but the act 1 merc is identical to the Rogue from D1 and the act 3 merc is identical to the Sorceror from D1. If you didn't recognize that you must not have played D1.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
Uh...sorry but no. You're right to a degree (Summoner = Sorceror???) but the act 1 merc is identical to the Rogue from D1 and the act 3 merc is identical to the Sorceror from D1. If you didn't recognize that you must not have played D1.
seriously? did u talk to the quest givers AT ALL? they flat out say that blood raven was the finest rogue and was among the ones that defeated diablo.

also: did u ever notice they give DIFFERENT NAMES and there are DIFFERENT mercs for both act1 and act3? how the hell would that work?

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
I understand that the character images were reused to an extent in the making of the act 1 and act 3 mercs. It doesn't make any sense to think that the diablo 2 characters will be reused in diablo 3, given the shift in graphics and whatnot. Reworked and remodeled to meet the new art direction and the new storyline, maybe.

What I am talking about is the lore and storyline in between diablo 1 and diablo 2. The rogue becomes corrupted and is the blood raven, the sorceror becomes corrupted and becomes the summoner, and the warrior becomes the dark wanderer (diablo).

According to Diablo II, the canon hero who defeated Diablo in Tristram was a Warrior: the wanderer who is possessed by the Lord of Terror is clearly a man, ruling out the Rogue. His skin is pale, implying he is not the dark-skinned Sorcerer, and in the opening cutscene, the wanderer leans on a sword, the weapon most closely associated with the Warrior. (Plus in one of the cinematics Marius says "He told me he was once a great warrior.")

Blood Raven (the corrupted Rogue from the first act of Diablo II) was evidently the Rogue in the first Diablo game. Akara and Charsi say that Blood Raven was a rogue captain at Tristram, battling Diablo. They say she returned unlike before, bringing an evil influence. Shortly thereafter, Andariel's uprising in the west began and Blood Raven began raising the dead.

The Summoner, the corrupted Mage from the Second Act that was impersonating Horazon, was supposedly the Sorcerer in the first Diablo game. Jerhyn and Drognan speak of a near-insane Vizjerei mage who arrived in Lut Gholein (presumably seeking Horazon's sanctuary) claiming to have fought against Diablo in Tristram, suggesting that mage became the Summoner. The Summoner is also dark skinned, like the dark-skinned Sorcerer in the original Diablo.
Diablo (video game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
fucking hell diablo 3 is so shitty, im not anticipating this game at all in fact im looking forward to university more than diablo. geez

Glowy

Premium Member
Reaction score
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *gasp* nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rip neco :(

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Rogue/Amazon should be replaced by a Dragoon, wielding a musket and light armor/weapons as an all purpose cheap/light soldier.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I like the name "Crusader" like DM gave, but it'd be a Paladin knockoff. And as for "Elementalist," please God let it not be called that. "Sage" is better but...

My prefered class structure:

Barbarian
Witch Doctor
Ranger (descendants of the Rogues from 1/2, wraps up Assassin and Amazon in a nice neat nongenderspecific package.)

Zakarum Priest (since destroying the Compelling Orb freed them, it'd be a nice logical way to fill the shoes of "group healer/holy warrior." It'd also be a terrific foil to the Witch Doctor, both tribal sorcerors but one dealing with spiritual life and one dealing with spiritual death)

(Insert cliched random mage name here) - Your standard vanilla elemental mage. Vizjerei or Horardim lineage is pretty much shot (since supposedly there aren't any left besides Cain), so they'll probably haul some random tribe name/backstory out of a hat like they did with the Witch Doctor.

Jetfusion

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok think realistically it is in "olden times" or whatever so there won't be guns or any nonsense like that....... So i think they will just go with something like this

Barbarain (obviously it's been released and u need a straight up melee)

WitchDoctor(Been released more than lkely is gonna take place of necro but we all know there not telling us sumtin about this charector and he might be more like the necro than he seems

Some hybrid of the amazon and assasin (proubly some ninja thingy)

Some holy dude that is shield oriented (a knockoff of the pally but they might scratch the whole aura thing personally i liked em but the idea behind em was gay)

A caster (cmon man EVERY game like this has one.........but they proubly will change itto a more magicle standpoint and not a elemental)

And that proubly it however knowing blizzard they will release a expansion with more charectors THOSE BASTARDS :willy_nilly:

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Ok think realistically it is in "olden times" or whatever so there won't be guns or any nonsense like that....... So i think they will just go with something like this
It is a medieval Gothic themed horror game. Gun powder was invented in the 9th century, the middle east and Europe in the 13-14th century. the Middle Ages extended to the 15th century. There is absolutely no reason that the Diablo World would stay behind in technology forever.

And it isn't "guns". Rifles came later, and handguns much later after. Hand Cannons and Muskets were easily available by the end of the middle ages.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
uh blood raven = the rogue from d1 and the summoner = sorcerer from d1

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the other classes I know I'm going to spend most of my time playing with the witch doctor.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah but most of the time i see your name i just keep scrolling :/

Jetfusion

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
uhhhh i feal sorry for u man

but anyways i am thinking it is before even muskets dude not much before but before.......

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I really doubt Diablo will move into any era of firearms. It gets kind of pointless...the whole idea of "big evil beasts that take over everything in existance" kinda starts to lose its terror if you can just pop a metal slug in their head and be done with it. Even arrowproof enemies aren't necessarily bulletproof. I recognize that a newer technology like firearms would be primitive and inaccurate, but the fact remains that you'd be a lot less scared of Diablo if you had a line of cannons. If you can kill Diablo with a sword, you can blow him to pieces with a cannon.

This is an age of magic, not technology. Potion alchemy is pretty much the only form of science they're using, and sorcerors ARE the cannons of this age. Why play around with inventing a way to shoot a little piece of metal when you can summon a big-ass fireball? The reason we invented guns was because we COULDN'T do that...so we went from knives to long-range knives (arrows) to improved arrows (bullets).

If D3 goes into an age of firearms, it'll just ruin the concept. It'd be like people showing up in Middle Earth with a line of muskets to cut down every damn Uruk-hai that came after them. The threat of unknown monsters that will more than likely kill you if you try to take a sword to them and can deflect most arrows just kind of diminishes when you stand there, say 'bang', and they fall down dead.