Any word on the expansion?

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
Most of Blizzard's games have always received at least 1 expansion. I'm guessing Diablo 3 will be no different. Especially considering how short it is.

If so, anyone have any info on it?

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
I think there will be an expansion for Diablo 3, but not any time soon. With the current state that the game is in with bots and cheaters I don't think an expansion will be a welcomed idea to all the angry fans Blizzard has. If an expansion is made I hope it adds some sort of a better endgame to the game. I know Diablo 2 was grinding acts over and over gain but I think Blizzard can do a little bit better than that in Diablo 3. I would really like to see randomized dungeons for the endgame of Diablo 3. Once you reach level 60 you can enter 10 different dungeons that each have different design styles and each time you go in them the dungeon is randomly generated, kind of like in most other dungeon-crawler games. There would be about 50 floors and the 50th floor would have a REALLY difficult boss. It would make the endgame a lot more fun and not seem like boring grinding of the same levels.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Blizzard mentioned that they thought collecting/ upgrading gear and the repetitive grind involved in doing that would occupy and satisfy gamers for longer. This was in an interview about recent patch updates.

It also said that they hadn't planned any expansions for the near future or large changes in gameplay for the reason I just stated. Honestly it surprised me that Blizzard thought they could get away with such a narrow gameplay. While the game is not World of Warcraft, as Blizzard consistently tries to remind players, Blizzard needs to recognize that players expect much more multiplayer action from their games and they have a standard to uphold.

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
CrazyKook summed most of it up. If you want to read the actual Blizz quotes on it, check this:

Diablo 3 Expansion: 'We're Not World Of Warcraft' - Blizzard (News) - NowGamer

They're definitely not aiming/working on an expansion right this very second, but it also doesn't mean they're not putting time into those patches that are coming up. Hopefully those bring enough content to tide some people over for a while, too, but my hopes aren't high.

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
Blizzard mentioned that they thought collecting/ upgrading gear and the repetitive grind involved in doing that would occupy and satisfy gamers for longer. This was in an interview about recent patch updates.

It also said that they hadn't planned any expansions for the near future or large changes in gameplay for the reason I just stated. Honestly it surprised me that Blizzard thought they could get away with such a narrow gameplay. While the game is not World of Warcraft, as Blizzard consistently tries to remind players, Blizzard needs to recognize that players expect much more multiplayer action from their games and they have a standard to uphold.
Well the dungeons I mentioned would be repetitive as well after awhile but repeating a story-mode over and over again is just annoying after awhile and makes me not want to play the game. They have to stop pretending to know what their customers want and actually act based on the views seen on forums like these. If the game isn't based on multiplayer and comparing gear then why do we always need to be online to play the game to insure there is no hacking. (Even though there is tons of hacking and botting!)

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score

This post here pretty much dampens any small hopes I had. Thanks for the info. Even though it sucks lol

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
This post here pretty much dampens any small hopes I had. Thanks for the info. Even though it sucks lol

Yeah, I know. I've been rather angry with Blizzard. Best thing to do with Diablo III is to get your buddies to play with you, making the grind less dull.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The games been out for a few months, what makes you think there's an expansion coming?

starcraft II's coming on 2 years, and the expansion is nowhere in sight.

Blizzard has their heads up their ass.

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
The games been out for a few months, what makes you think there's an expansion coming?

starcraft II's coming on 2 years, and the expansion is nowhere in sight.

Blizzard has their heads up their ass.
Well it is difficult to create an expansion for a game like Starcraft since most people are just interested in ranked versus. I guess they could make more maps but new maps should be free on a game like that. Diablo 3 is an extremely easy game to add an expansion to with all the resources Blizzard has. I don't think Starcraft 2 will ever get an expansion but I think Diablo 3 will get an expansion sometime after Mists of Panderia for World of Warcraft.

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I've been rather angry with Blizzard. Best thing to do with Diablo III is to get your buddies to play with you, making the grind less dull.
Oh god, I couldn't play it solo, I don't think. It would end up so mindnumbingly dull after a much shorter amount of time, I think. I do like doing things solo, but for D3, the biggest appeal at this point is still being able to play with friends and hang out.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh god, I couldn't play it solo, I don't think. It would end up so mindnumbingly dull after a much shorter amount of time, I think. I do like doing things solo, but for D3, the biggest appeal at this point is still being able to play with friends and hang out.
I would play with friends but my schedule is so whacked that I don't think it's possible.

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
I do it similar to how I play WoW alts. I have them at various levels so that any time a friend's schedule ends up lining up with mine, I have someone roughly in the right area to be able to play with them....and still have something I can play solo when no one is around.

alighieri00

Reaction score
I'm of the frame of mind that Blizzard hadn't counted on the fact that gamers have become a great deal more complicated these days. When D2 came out, games were still for nerds only, and the average game was just terrible. Now, games have become massively mainstream (thanks in no small part to WoW), and as a result the demands for games have grown rapidly. Thinking that simply grinding for gear would sate the average person is simply the same line of thought they had for Diablo 2.

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
That's a good perspective to consider, alghieri. I just can't buy it, though. The majority of the people who work for a company like that and put all these time and effort into games....are also going to be gamers themselves. Not all of them, of course, and plenty would be too burned out working there to bother playing as well. In general, though, I would expect many of them to "get it" and know they can't release a game like that and not get a bit of backlash for the lack of...oomph.

Jimmymadness

Reaction score
I believe that since this game is still very buggy and not quite balanced they will hold off for a while. Also, they are going to want to see how pvp does before going in depth into an expansion. I am sure just like HotS with SC2 there will be leaked information as soon as development gets anywhere.

Winterzbane

Reaction score
There has been "talk" about it, but that is just it as this time. There will most definitely be an expansion there is no reason for there not to be one. It would be suicide for them to not make an expansion for a game serious that always has had them especially after making us wait 10 years for this one. At this time though there is no official release date, name, speculation as to who the antagonist is etc.

Sargento

Reaction score
Knowing Blizzard it'll be another couple years, and it's sure to be spectacular. Hell, Heart of the Swarm isn't even out yet and it's been close to two years since Starcraft II was released. But that's Blizzard's way.

I'm sure you'll see videos/gameplay footage in a year or two, then it'll be another year or two before they finish tweaking it and release it.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
Personally, I think Blizzard will have to break their normal "1 or 2" expansions thing they do for this one. Mostly because of the steep drop off of players happening.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
The whole thing about Adria probably being the villain just really puts me off it.

She just feels... inconsequential after killing the devil...

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I think they will release expansion when they have an idea on how to make big changes to the game. I don't think they will release one soon for that matter, probably in another year or 2. I can't wait to hear more storyline though from a new expansion.