Age of Conan Review

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
dont listen to bfh he thinks vivindi arnt gonna let blizzard make another game after wow because its so successful and starcraft 2 is gonan be canceled according to him

Cobalt Wolf

New & improved!
Reaction score
What exactly did they change? Adding onto something isn't exactly changing it btw.

Reference

Member!
Reaction score
Jenny, I'm not trying insult your intellegence or anything but I really don't understand how you can
say that World of Warcraft doesn't have much of a storyline unless you just aren't reading. I will say
this though, unless you are familiar with the Warcrafts before WoW then you aren't as clued in as
those who do know the stories.

And you know what. The only Warcraft I played before WoW is Warcraft 1 but I know about everything
from beginning to end just because I sit and I read and I learn. Call me boring but I like being informed.
it has a broad lollike storyline until you reach the epic levels and the story actually picks up. conan does too, but the story is actually engaging and interesting as opposed to WoW's.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Jenny, I'm not trying insult your intellegence or anything but I really don't understand how you can
say that World of Warcraft doesn't have much of a storyline unless you just aren't reading. I will say
this though, unless you are familiar with the Warcrafts before WoW then you aren't as clued in as
those who do know the stories.

And you know what. The only Warcraft I played before WoW is Warcraft 1 but I know about everything
from beginning to end just because I sit and I read and I learn. Call me boring but I like being informed.
Warcraft has good lore even though it goes crazy in some places now that WoW released. (Draenei from space for instance..) But WoW has no story of what I could tell other then what I stated. "Go kill x person." Yeah, I know the previous Warcraft games have stories and great characters, I played them, but these were RTS and between and during battles they had time to fill in story. An MMO doesn't have time to do this unless it really tries and WoW doesn't. Sure, you can read the back story of happenings after WC3 to WoW but this shouldn't be required. I played WoW and none of the quests immersed you into an enthralling story like the others. Infact I picked up on hardly any story at all other than minor plots every few major quests. The game itself doesn't tell you the story of the game or immerse you into it. If you want to know what's going on you have to research around. I'm not saying AoC has a better story. (it doesn't it's lacking as well.)

Personally I hate what WoW has done to Warcraft. It has demolished the franchise and story. Major characters are doing nothing and major villains such as Illidan, Kael, Vashj are just being killed off for the above reasons. "Go kill Illidan." or "Go kill Kael'thas AGAIN cause he's still crazy." Thrall, Jaina, and Cairne are completely plucked from the story. I expect in the next game they're going to have generic raid quests - "Arthas is bad go kill him."

The game itself has no developing storyline. I read the thing about the Sunwell which was a minor storyline. Other then that there is none. They're just having you kill off stuff for reasons described in previous games. WoW itself has absolutely no story. Alls it has done is ruin a good story by ending elaborate storylines and characters through anti-climactic instances/raids.

They added alot in WoW (and forgot alot) for instance Sylvanas gained control of many of the strands of the scourge and yet these all got turned into 'undead' humanoids in WoW. Lame. Not to mention she was 100% bent on avenging herself and the High Elves, but now she's just idling like all other main characters. Draenei were originally from Outland. Now they're from space. Jaina and Thrall were allied and I can find absolutely nothing over the reason why they are now fighting. Now I'm reading Dalaran is flying to Northrend..

Cobalt Wolf

New & improved!
Reaction score
Reference *shakes head*...
I have a very strong feeling that you don't even know the storyline for WoW.
I bet if you were to go looking for answers to questions that I ask you that
you'd be learning a lot of stuff that you just never cared to read about.

Did you know that Night Elves used to be Trolls, that Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage (Illidan's twin
brother) is the mate of Tyrande (ruler of the Night Elves, her picture is on the cover of the WoW
game box), that Cenarius (the demigod) was the son of Elune (the moon goddess) and Malorne
(the white stag) and taught druidism to Illidan and Malfurion and that Malfurion was the first mortal
druid? There's so much more to what I just told you but those are things that I found a lot of people
do not know about Night Elves. And I could go on and on but I really need to get to bed lol.

Oh one more thing.. Jenny, WoW is not just about us beating some random bad guy. Illidan became
what he was (half demon/half night elf) to help destroy the Scourge but his brother banished being he
was a huge threat after becoming part demon by using the skull of gul'dan. Then Kil'jaeden offered
him more power to do his bidding and many Night Elves were killed in the failed attempt.
The Burning Legion is still his enemy as it is ours but he's not a good person any more.
I feel sorry for him though. He was in love as well as confused and misunderstood.
But now there's no turning back for the things that he's done as far as he's concerened.

Are you aware that there are books written that were added into the game? They're written
by designers as well as fans of Warcraft and are sold at pretty much any library I'm sure.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Reference *shakes head*...
I have a very strong feeling that you don't even know the storyline for WoW.
I bet if you were to go looking for answers to questions that I ask you that
you'd be learning a lot of stuff that you just never cared to read about.

Did you know that Night Elves used to be Trolls, that Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage (Illidan's twin
brother) is the mate of Tyrande (ruler of the Night Elves, her picture is on the cover of the WoW
game box), that Cenarius (the demigod) was the son of Elune (the moon goddess) and Malorne
(the white stag) and taught druidism to Illidan and Malfurion and that Malfurion was the first mortal
druid? There's so much more to what I just told you but those are things that I found a lot of people
do not know about Night Elves. And I could go on and on but I really need to get to bed lol.

Oh one more thing.. Jenny, WoW is not just about us beating some random bad guy. Illidan became
what he was (half demon/half night elf) to help destroy the Scourge but his brother banished being he
was a huge threat after becoming part demon by using the skull of gul'dan. Then Kil'jaeden offered
him more power to do his bidding and many Night Elves were killed in the failed attempt.
The Burning Legion is still his enemy as it is ours but he's not a good person any more.
I feel sorry for him though. He was in love as well as confused and misunderstood.
But now there's no turning back for the things that he's done as far as he's concerened.

Are you aware that there are books written that were added into the game? They're written
by designers as well as fans of Warcraft and are sold at pretty much any library I'm sure.
All that is disclosed in Warcraft 3 so I knew all of that.

Yeah. All of this stuff relating to Illidan happened in WC3 and not WoW. WoW doesn't have an independent story. Illidan became what he was because he was greedy for power. He had the choice to destroy the skull of Gul'dan but he didn't. He also went insane after losing to Arthas so any feelings for Tyrande were lost. WoW just sent you to kill him because of a previously developed story in another game. This further supports the fact WoW itself has no story.

I know books are being written and I acknowledged the Assault on the Moonwell in WoW as a small story, but books that havent been added to the game aren't canon. There's no major or long running story in WoW.

L

Laharl

You're both missing the point. Lore is storyline BEFORE the game. An MMORPG is not about the storyline during the game, it's about enviroment. An MMO where you play through a set storyline feels artificial. If I wanted to play a game that had a forced storyline I'd play hellgate: London. It was slightly more entertaining.

Storylines that "insist upon" themselves are wonderful for a RTS, FPS, and adventure/quest game. But it doesn't work as well for an MMO.

Cobalt Wolf

New & improved!
Reaction score
Errdegahr Senger, Usstan plynn elgull! Lil To'ryll Wussrun'wa xal tlu er'griff
dalzhind ulu dos jhal ol k'jakr jivvenn aglust wun ussta tresk'ri. Lu'oh kuuv
dos telanth folt klezn phuul naut kleel.

Jhal t'yin 'sohna, ele zhal'la uss kyor'ol natha
Errdegahr ulu talinth del Darthirii klezn izil kleel.

Aglust del dos xal tlu Darthirii lueth dos xal tangis' ssinssrin ulu tlu
Darthirii jhal dosst xukuth lueth shar zhah nindel del natha Errdegahr.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Other languages aside, i can give you a real example as to how Blizzard mucked up the lore.

Ok for starters, most boss mobs you encounter in a raid situation are either actually dead in the story (And are only alive so players can kill them for loot, which is fine) or they never existed and are placed in dungeons just for the sake of having an extra boss, then they are somehow tied into the lore through some obscure or retarded way.
Another example is the Blood Elves and how they got access to the Light and become paladins. Blizzard gave Alliance shamans and Horde paladins to basically balance the game a little more. And give everyone access to all classes. And with that change, they created all this retarded ****ing lore about how Blood Elves captured the Naaru; M'uru (I think?) and siphon stuff out of him to create paladins. What a ****ing joke of an excuse for lore. Now with patch 2.4 they changed the lore again because everyone's in a fight together to stop the Shattered Sun and Kil'jaeden and the Naaru then willingly taught the Blood Elves to be paladins (I think?).
And lastly, apparently anyone can be Deathknights. Does anyone else find this just a little stupid? Yeah Night Elf Rogues can now be Deathknights! BECAUSE APPARENTLY THAT MAKES SENSE.

Either way Blizzard will make changes to classes and encounters irregardless of lore, and then change the lore to suit the change because pussy***** whiners don't get their way.

**** you Blizzard.

Cobalt Wolf

New & improved!
Reaction score
First off - NONE of your characters can BECOME a Death Knight.
You can create one if you already have a 55 and the Death Knight
you create will be 55 but you still keep all of your characters.

Second - Like I said, adding is not changing and I swear I'm getting sick of
complaints about them adding stuff to the plot or new mobs because if they
didn't then you'd be complaining about that. They didn't change anything, they
added more to it as it is a new discovery as the main storyline progresses.

Third - You think it's dumb that there's Blood Elf Paladins and Draenei Shamans,
well I don't really care that you think it's dumb and obviously there's at least a
million other people who don't care that you think it's dumb. I'm glad they did it,
honestly. And I am hoping that eventually Alli and Horde will be able to
communicate, group and raid together. They wouldn't have to eliminate BGs
because I'm sure there's still going to be Alli and Horde that refuse to coincide.

Fourth - The lore is not just lore, it's content that still affects every day game
play and yes some of these things will be added onto because it's a storyline.
And Jenny, all the Warcrafts are a part of World of Warcraft but WoW is the
continuing story. You act as if all the Warcrafts are different from WoW
- they're NOT!

Ok quick question... someone mentioned that you can chose what your
character says in coversations with NPCs but in the end it's the same outcome...
What's the point in being able to chose what your character says then?

Oh and I let my husband read a couple posts and he says
any one who disagrees with what I said is DUMB, end of story.

L

Laharl

Actually it's an undeniable fact that lore was changed between warcraft III and WoW.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Yeah, they changed alot of things. WoW ruined/is ruining the Warcraft story-line. Lore isn't story. WoW has no story. The previous games do. All they have done is kill off main characters just because. This isn't a plot or a story, WoW has none. It has added nothing to the Warcraft storyline other than the pointless killings of characters.

That is not a story. Let's set up an example similar for you since you won't seem to comprehend that there is no story. Lets say theres two movies, one a sequel to the other. the first one is full of story, action, characters, etc. Then the second is just them standing there while main characters were either removed from the story (for no reason) or killed off (for no reason). This is the relationship between previous Warcrafts and WoW. It hasn't continued the story at all. Nothing new is revealed in-game as part of the story. Nothing. They are completely different. Each Warcraft has continued with a fresh story while referencing the past or involving part characters. WoW has no new story, no story at all.

I really don't see how you can argue this. Nobody is saying WoW isn't rich in lore (thanks to the past games, since WoW has done nothing good for the lore) but it has absolutely no story.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
basically even if blizzard wanted to, they couldn't make a new warcraft rts game. well they would but it'd probably trash the storyline even further.

Reference

Member!
Reaction score
Errdegahr Senger, Usstan plynn elgull! Lil To'ryll Wussrun'wa xal tlu er'griff
dalzhind ulu dos jhal ol k'jakr jivvenn aglust wun ussta tresk'ri. Lu'oh kuuv
dos telanth folt klezn phuul naut kleel.

Jhal t'yin 'sohna, ele zhal'la uss kyor'ol natha
Errdegahr ulu talinth del Darthirii klezn izil kleel.

Aglust del dos xal tlu Darthirii lueth dos xal tangis' ssinssrin ulu tlu
Darthirii jhal dosst xukuth lueth shar zhah nindel del natha Errdegahr.
"Demon Lord, I take offense! The Emerald Dream might be only history to you but it still plays part in my world. How dare you say such things are not important. But then again, why should one expect a Demon to to think of Elf things as important. Part of you might be Elf and you might even want to be Elf but your heart and mind is that of a Demon."

Are you serious?

Reference

Member!
Reaction score
First off - NONE of your characters can BECOME a Death Knight.
You can create one if you already have a 55 and the Death Knight
you create will be 55 but you still keep all of your characters.
Wrong. Every class that goes through the steps to unlock the DK can become a DK if they choose. It would completely and totally change your character andit is 100% unreverseable, but every character can become one.

Second - Like I said, adding is not changing and I swear I'm getting sick of
complaints about them adding stuff to the plot or new mobs because if they
didn't then you'd be complaining about that. They didn't change anything, they
added more to it as it is a new discovery as the main storyline progresses.
What do you mean they didn't change anything? WC3 ended in somewhat of mystery and had huge strings left for the next game. WoW destoryed nearly every aspect of that. Everything in WoW is cannonized in the WC universe, so all the main story points that happen in WoW are to be continued in the next WC game. Illidan being killed by a buncha nobodies. The main hereoes of WC3 left to just hang out at their respected cities. Draenei being from space (lllllllllllllllllllol) and so on and so forth. Want me to keep going? Cause I will.

Third - You think it's dumb that there's Blood Elf Paladins and Draenei Shamans,
well I don't really care that you think it's dumb and obviously there's at least a
million other people who don't care that you think it's dumb. I'm glad they did it,
honestly. And I am hoping that eventually Alli and Horde will be able to
communicate, group and raid together. They wouldn't have to eliminate BGs
because I'm sure there's still going to be Alli and Horde that refuse to coincide.
You don't think it's dumb that theres BEP's and DS's, well I don't really care what you think and it's obvious that there are at least a million other people who think it is equally stupid and dumb. They destoryed lore just to balance thegame. They've done that,over and over and over again. They're going to keep continuing to do that. To think otherwise is to just turn a blind eye, and blind eyers shouldn't ever really speek their opinion, as it surely doesn't matter.

Fourth - The lore is not just lore, it's content that still affects every day game
play and yes some of these things will be added onto because it's a storyline.
And Jenny, all the Warcrafts are a part of World of Warcraft but WoW is the
continuing story. You act as if all the Warcrafts are different from WoW
- they're NOT!
Actually they are. WoW has changed the lore and has destroyed established lore just to appease game balancing. When did WC3 change their storyline to better balance the game? Show me some examples, cause you're really skating on thin ice.

Ok quick question... someone mentioned that you can chose what your
character says in coversations with NPCs but in the end it's the same outcome...
What's the point in being able to chose what your character says then?
It all ends up with you having to do the quest or the action eventually, but it does change the reactions of the people, and later in the game can effect many things.

Oh and I let my husband read a couple posts and he says
any one who disagrees with what I said is DUMB, end of story.
I let my fiance read your posts in this thread -- to which she didn't understand the one in Drow, and when I explained that you were, essentially obsessed with a fantasy race, even going so far as naming your kid something related to Drow -- and she couldn't stop laughing at how incredibly dense, and stupid you are, end of story.

L

Laharl

But at the end of the day I prefer lore that was shat on over lore that always was awful.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
basically even if blizzard wanted to, they couldn't make a new warcraft rts game. well they would but it'd probably trash the storyline even further.
If WoW never happened they could have easily made a WC4. Now they'll have to start entirely new line of events with some or more new characters since after WoW's next expansion all the villains are probably going to be dead for the "they're bad go kill them" storyline.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
it would be a continuation of wow as an rts...and you'd have all sorts of games saying "LOL theyre trying to make an rts based off an mmo!".

its a business though. you introduce a new product that could potential ruin your old line of products in hopes of cashing it big. sucks that decent franchises go down the ****ter like that.