A serious conversation... Operation Mend

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Today I saw a Camaro auctioned off for Operation Mend, it enticed me to look more into what the organization was. In short it is a recovering program for soldiers disfigured by war. I normally am not effected by charity organizations, cure this disease cure that disease campaigns, but this struck me. I can't imagine the effects from their wounds, people are harsh to anyone that stands out and I would love to do something to help. So, please take a look at Operation Mend and consider donating. I will be trying to spread the word as we build upon Battleforums.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I posted this on reddit. If you are a member please upvote it

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I'll never support a soldier who was not drafted and willingly participated in the "War on Terrorism" and I think it's atrocious that this board's name is being unified as some sort of advocate of this. People die, get wounded, starve, etc. every day building and supporting America outside of the military in the home front. Families go bankrupt, get torn apart, etc. by financial troubles and disease.

It sucks that they got injured, but a charitable organization for wounded Iraq vets isn't even on the same echelon as disease/hunger.

/liberal skank

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll never support a soldier who was not drafted and willingly participated in the "War on Terrorism" and I think it's atrocious that this board's name is being unified as some sort of advocate of this. People die, get wounded, starve, etc. every day building and supporting America outside of the military in the home front. Families go bankrupt, get torn apart, etc. by financial troubles and disease.

It sucks that they got injured, but a charitable organization for wounded Iraq vets isn't even on the same echelon as disease/hunger.

/liberal skank

I am anti-military, I believe that America is in far too many "wars" for misleading reasons. But I wanted to share has nothing to do with them being soldier, it was because of the awful effects of disfigurement. and I believe $500,000 could buy a TON of food for people and do better good. I just thought this should get some awareness. But its crazy to say this is an atrocity, I am not relating Battleforums to this at all. I was just hoping to make a few threads, and I hope to do some good for other causes, not just this.

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score

/liberal skank
That wasn't a liberal comment, it was an ignorant one. People like you condemn the actions of the heroes that willingly give their lives for the freedoms we enjoy everyday. It's abominable.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Someone willingly participating in a greedy/unnecessary war and being injured or killing an "enemy" is not a hero. Sorry. My freedoms have never been close to being under attack due to any war with Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. If anything this comical "War on Terror" has begun to limit American rights and freedoms, "for you protection." It's not like I am protesting their funerals or praising their deaths, but I am not supporting them.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone willingly participating in a greedy/unnecessary war and being injured or killing an "enemy" is not a hero. Sorry. My freedoms have never been close to being under attack due to any war with Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. If anything this comical "War on Terror" has begun to limit American rights and freedoms, "for you protection." It's not like I am protesting their funerals or praising their deaths, but I am not supporting them.
I personally think that the "war in iraq" is 70% bull**** for a greedy America, BUT, even if you think it is 100% or if it was actually 100% bull****. These soldiers aren't individuals that see our nation or the war in iraq as pushing a greedy agenda, they believe that they are protecting our country and our freedoms. Their intentions are well (even though killing an enemy is somehow patriotic and we never think about the fact that them killing us is patriotic for them). So regardless of your feelings and how much you think the war is ridiculous, these soldiers are just men with families thinking they are doing good, and in the process having their lives horribly altered.

Doing good, not doing good, it doesn't matter. What matters is the character of the men.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
You realize that there are millions of people who go without basic human necessities every day, right? The way you phrase the OP is that people decided to go into the military and they got hurt and now kidz are being mean to them because they look different (granted I didn't actually click the link you posted but I'm pretty sure it's a link to a waving American flag gif anyway). So you have to ask the question: do I want to contribute to charities which focus on correcting widespread global economic problems, or do I want to contribute to charities which focus on correcting an American soldier's physical appearance based on some sort of patriotic appeal? I mean, the answer that you're pushing is that even if you don't agree with militarism you should have the common ****ing courtesy to feel empathy for some poor sap who's being taken advantage of by war profiteering. And that's fair enough. You should totally feel empathy for those guys. But it seems like the real problem is that those people were taken advantage of in the first place. Or that you ****ers (me included) are sitting in the comfort of your homes debating how much cash it will take to effectively lubricate your giant raging guilt boners. Or that you seem to believe that simply saying "America" is some sort of call to action like that **** means anything in the context of an ethical dilemma. The point is that fine, you can appeal to emotion and nation and whatever the **** else but that doesn't actually change the reality of the situation, it just makes you kind of a dick for trying to guilt people into fixing the symptoms of a problem rather than the actual problem. Anyway, happy Thanksgiving.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Badger, I believe you could sum up my feelings for the whole situation with your quote
have the common ****ing courtesy to feel empathy for some poor sap who's being taken advantage of by war profiteering
But I don't think this takes place over the millions hungry in the world, I just thought it should get some notice. and No, I don't think they should get sympathy based on bull***t nationalism, I just thought it should be brought to consciousness.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It's cool guy. You're trying to do something that you think is important. Just that we're living in a complex system with varying degrees of suffering and it's important to remember that nationality is not a variable in that equation.

Also are you bf's new owner?

Also Jenny, Eric! Eric I forgot your old handle was ST. But then you posted and your Arizona started showing. It's a beautiful state but you ****ers love your America to a fault. And Jenny! You guys wanna play dota2 with me when it comes out?