10 games pepole should play before they die?

cryssweet

Reaction score
Just wondering, what would be the 10 games people here think everyone should play before they die?

Keep in mind that this may not be your favourite 10 games, but maybe games that show innovation or something similar.

My list would probably be something like:

Thief 2
Battlefield 1942
Unreal Tournament 99
Quake 3
Zelda OOT
System Shock 2
Half Life 1
Final Fantasy VII
DEUS EX
Super Mario 64

What about you guys?

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
diablo 2 lod
world of warcraft
starcraft 1
starcraft 2
diablo 3

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
For impact on the gaming world:

Duck Hunt (Active gaming's first hit. Without it, I doubt we'd have Guitar Hero and DDR)

Pong (Where would we be without it?)

Super Mario Bros (Started one of the most massive franchises out there, one of the most recognizable video game characters worldwide, and launched to fame the "original" gaming company- Nintendo)

Mortal Kombat 1 (Paved way for traditional fighters)

Doom (Say hello to FPS, technically Wolfenstein 3D came first but Doom was way bigger)

Legend of Zelda: OOT (I agree on this one...most revolutionary console game I've ever heard of)

For sheer fun:

Lemmings (Most addictive game ever)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Pure classic)

Diablo 2 (Levelgrinder dungeonblasters made almost perfect, represents the best qualities of the genre)

StarCraft (Probably the most influential and widespread RTS of all time...also the Korean national sport)

Honorable Mentions:

Champions of Norrath: Same basic ideas as Diablo 2, but shows off just how perfect it can work on a console. Maxes the limits (sometimes overwhelms) of the PS2, and stays addictive for a long long time.

World of Warcraft: It's a religion...most notorious MMORPG around, and if it weren't for the fact that I hate it so damn much it'd probably be a top 10er.

Bloodrayne/Devil May Cry/God of War/Soul Reaver 2: Pick one...they're all great hack'n'slasher games where you roam around in big environments and slice/shoot/pummel the living daylights out of all sorts of enemies. My favorite genre of gaming, they're just plain fun.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Street Fighter II (Arcade, SNES, Genesis etc.) - Mortal Kombat can go suck itself. Street fighter is THE fighting game. Kombat was developed later because Street Fighter II was so good. Everythign about this game made fighters what they are today (for the good and the bad). Not only is it one of the most influential games ever, it holds up today still being ported and sold through various incarnations of itself and multiple sequels.

The Legend of Zelda (NES) - First game to use memory in a cartridge, had an open non-linear gameplay, revolutionized gaming.

Dune II (PC) - First RTS, while not popular, and pretty ****ty overall, it is the game that defined a RTS, leading for Warcraft and later Starcraft to take massive hints on game design.

Goldeneye (N64) - While it isn't the first FPS, nor is it the first Multiplayer FPs,Gameplay design made it one of the bes tand most influential FPS since Doom rocked PCs a few years before. The Single player was fantastic, not just a kill everythign till you get to the end. It required missions, stealth time all the things you see in major FPS titles.

For a console and four gamer slots it defined the console FPS, back when everyone else was ass backwards about multilayer. It also had free aiming, sniping, mines, etc. All the viable options that would come much later for most FPS.

Tetris (gameboy) - Nintendo is alive right now as the leading handheld gamine company because of this game. Nintendo landing the rights was a very strategic move, and since then the Gameboy brand has endured to be the number one selling gaming hardware ever. Not only that it was just pure fun, it required quick reflexes, quick thinking strategic planning etc.

Metal Gear Solid (Playstation) - What is more to say about metal gear solid? It was highly influential and all around a solid experience. For a playstation game, and a whopping 4 disks, It boasted amazing graphics, phenomenal Music, and incredible Voice Acting. The time period was not know for having such good voice actors, just see a Resident Evil Title at the time (actually see any Resident evil title, time has not sweetend capcoms ability to hire good actors and dialogue writers.) It was a griping adventure, with twists and turns, and you never quite know what is going on until the balls to the wall amazing finale.
This game was hard to divorce the gameplay from the story. It defined the cinematic experience of a video game. Taking on the gameplay of it's predecessors it was the best game on the Playstation, and spawned a number of ****ty imitators and bad sequels. While they haven't manged to make another game quite as grand as the Metal Gear Solid experience, we still have this game to play.

Diablo (PC) - This is action RPG. There is no bull****, this teh genre to the core. While better games have come out since, Diablo stands as not only the definitive action RPG title, but also the game (along with Warcraft II) to launch battle.net an unprecedented gaming service. It is still very much playable on Battle.net, although this was pre-exploit fixes, and hacking detection. Regardless the fact is Diablo was free, in a sea of online games who all sided with fees to play. This is why Diablo was so amazing, along with it's disturbing story, frightening visuals, and gory gameplay. all in all a must play for anyone who doesn't know where these games came from.

Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64) - with the Playstation 3D gaming was out of the gate first, but stumbled. Until Mario 64 there was no good completely 3D adventure quite like it. With the Nintendo 64s 360 degress analog stick, Control of Mario had never been so good. Controler options aside, the game itself was spectacular. You could choose where you wanted go, what stars to collect, when to beat the game, or just mess around in your favorite levels. IT had some of the most memorable locations, characters, and experience I guarantee anyone from that era still remembers. Remade for the DS, and one of the 64's best selling game, it stands the test of time as one of the greatest games ever made.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
xenogears-my all time favorite rpg. amazing story with a fun combat system.

contra/heavy barrel-I put them together because as a kid growing up they were among the only multiplayer shooters available. One is top down the other sidescrolling. I honestly like heavy barrel better because of the top down view as opposed to the classic sidescroller.

civilization 2-one of if not the best strategy game out there. Multi facet gameplay that leaves players choices other than war.

legend of zelda 3(link to the past)-Best game on the snes. The whole 2 worlds theme thats become staple in a majority of the future zelda games.

legend of zelda ocarina of time-Took zelda games up a notch by adding another dimension to the gameplay. no longer top down, this iteration of zelda also introduced stronger story elements and lots of side quests(dam biggorn sword...)

marvel vs capcom-Street fighter 2, awesome game. Like pan said, capcom got the fighter formula right. However, this cross franchise fighter bleeds exciting and included the everpopular tag team gameplay.

armored core 2-best mecha title out there. Start off with a weak mech, collect new parts by completing missions and purchasing desired parts. The inclusion of the tournament thing made mech vs mech combat very entertaining.

warlords 3: I can't get it to work anymore but is one of my favorite strategy games out there. Pick one of 8 sides(less on some levels) and you are given one(or more depending on the level) castles and a hero. Your castle can build 1 of 4 units(you can change what units are in that 4 listing) every few turns and you can build hefty stacks of units. Invade other castles to increase unit output and cash available to you. You generally use money to buy new units but occasionally a hero will offer to join your cause for some cash. Hero were able to carry powerful enchanted items and investigate dungeons. Basically just another time consuming game.

freelancer- One of the best space sims you can buy. Freelancer starts you off with a weak space ship and offers you an open ended gameplay experience. In order to make cash, you can do missions, raid cargo ships, make cargo runs, all of which generate cash towrard s the next level fighter/frigate and new weapons. One of the cooler aspects of the game was that each faction had a reputation meter that told whether they liked your or hated you. By killing pirates, various civilized systems would like you more while pirates and their friends would like you less. If you became friendly with certain pirate factions, they would stop attacking you and you would be allowed to dock in their hidden bases. What made the game especially awesome was you could play with online with i think over 100 other players. Very fun game at lan parties.

diablo 2: the best action rpg ever. no question.

TheSummit

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
For impact on the gaming world:

Duck Hunt (Active gaming's first hit. Without it, I doubt we'd have Guitar Hero and DDR)

Pong (Where would we be without it?)

Super Mario Bros (Started one of the most massive franchises out there, one of the most recognizable video game characters worldwide, and launched to fame the "original" gaming company- Nintendo)

Mortal Kombat 1 (Paved way for traditional fighters)

Doom (Say hello to FPS, technically Wolfenstein 3D came first but Doom was way bigger)

Legend of Zelda: OOT (I agree on this one...most revolutionary console game I've ever heard of)

For sheer fun:

Lemmings (Most addictive game ever)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Pure classic)

Diablo 2 (Levelgrinder dungeonblasters made almost perfect, represents the best qualities of the genre)

StarCraft (Probably the most influential and widespread RTS of all time...also the Korean national sport)

Honorable Mentions:

Champions of Norrath: Same basic ideas as Diablo 2, but shows off just how perfect it can work on a console. Maxes the limits (sometimes overwhelms) of the PS2, and stays addictive for a long long time.

World of Warcraft: It's a religion...most notorious MMORPG around, and if it weren't for the fact that I hate it so damn much it'd probably be a top 10er.

Bloodrayne/Devil May Cry/God of War/Soul Reaver 2: Pick one...they're all great hack'n'slasher games where you roam around in big environments and slice/shoot/pummel the living daylights out of all sorts of enemies. My favorite genre of gaming, they're just plain fun.
I played all of the games except the Starcraft and Warcraft ones. On the rest I totally agree. Some of the games had an amazing impact on the definition of gaming as we know it.

I guess I just hit the right time in life. There were times when I talked to younger people about pong, Silent Hunter and other revolutionary games I played during my chldhood on C64, Amstrad and x86 and they just didn't know what I am talking about. After reading the first part of your post I wanted to state my opinion on the games you mentioned but I realized that all of the games on your list had a major impact. Awesome list, for sure. Thanks for bringing up some good memories.

I also enjoyed the Alex Kid series on Sega Master System, Psycho Fox and games like Tetris. Really good times when I had to insert the 5,25'' disks or cassettes and type endless commands to wait almost endless time for a game to start.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
freeze tag

N0mad

Reaction score
hmm...
1.Diablo II LOD (Not even death can save u from me, i love that line :D)
2.Star Craft (my first game played on pc, and one of my favourites)
3.Half Life (thats classic, u gotta know this game)
4.Heroes of might and magic III
5.Freelancer (the best real time space simulator, realy cool)
6.Quake 3 (it realy is worth trying)
7.Lineage II (beter than wow in my opinion...)
8.Need for speed underground 2
9.Grand theft auto (geez almost forgot this one)
10.Mario Bross (if u havent played it, u dont deserve to die)

:rip:

L

Laharl

10. Act Raiser
9. Yoshi's Island
8. Mega Man X
7. Super Mario World
6. Secret of Mana
5. Super Mario RPG
4. chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VI
2. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1. Super Metroid

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
1) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the series.
2) F-Zero series
3) Secret of Mana
4) Chrono Trigger
5) Command and Conquer series
6) Unreal Series (including Unreal Tournament)
7) Final Fantasy VI & IV & X
8) Zelda: Ocarina, Majora, Twilight Princess, Link to the Past, and Awakening DX.
9) Mario Brothers series
10) Serious Sam series

I have a few others, but these are 10 that come to mind.

Vadriel said:
Why am I not suprised?

L

Laharl

chris, I would honestly replace FF 7 on your list with FF4, and FF10 with FF1, the original.

Otherwise you've got something great going.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
There is no 7. Its 4 and 6.

[Koolaid]

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
1) goldeneye
2) wayne gretzky 3d hockey 98.
3) mario party 2
4) pokemon blue
5) mario kart
6) rock band/ gh
7) super punch out
8) doom
9) prince of persia 3d ( that first one )
10) treasure hunt

L

Laharl

10. Act Raiser
9. Yoshi's Island
8. Mega Man X
7. Super Mario World
6. Secret of Mana
5. Super Mario RPG
4. chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VI
2. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1. Super Metroid
The supreme & perfect list.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Get rid of Mega Man, Chrono Trigger and Act Raiser then it's starting to look a little better.